Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Open Source WAN Acceleration

I have been doing research on WAN acceleration for a while now. Unfortunately due to the cost I have been unable to get it installed in the network that I manage. So several months ago I started working on my own WAN accelerator as an open source project.

I recently finished a pre-alpha, and am moving forward with its development. I have setup a portal for it at http://www.opennop.org. The pre-alpha is entirely contained in a kernel module, and is limited to compression. The next release I am working on is a combination kernel module and user space service that does the optimizations. It also currently capable of compression of the application data within the TCP segment, but is also multi-threaded to increase performance.

The next feature I will be adding is block based data reduction. This will be a difficult feature to implement, but is one of the most beneficial in terms of increasing WAN performance.

1 comment:

atique said...

Hello yaplej,

Great work. Congratulation. Can your solution used for SIP??

Thanks